For more information
- Bonjo : Newspaper on life in prison
- Knowledge Centre of the Supervisory Commission (Supervisory Commission).
- Custodial Institutions Agency – Ministry of Justice and Security.
- European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment - CPT.
- Health and Youth Care Inspectorate. Institute for Criminal Policy Research : World Prison Brief Data.
- World Health Organization : European Prison Health Database.
- Rules on the selection, placement and transfer of inmates, October 2018.
- Code of Criminal Procedure, October 2012.
- Penal Code of the Netherlands, valid from January to February 2019.
- Penitentiary Principles Act, January 2019.
- Scheme Model House Rules for Penitentiary Institutions, valid from December 2015 to August 2018.
- Amnesty International Netherlands and Open Society Foundations, “Inhuman and Unnecessary : Human Rights Violations in Dutch High-Security Prisons in the context of Counterterrorism “, October 2017.
- Council of Europe, “Annual Penal Statistics, Space I - Prison Populations Survey 2016, 2017.
- Council of Europe, “Report to the Government of the Netherlands on the visit to the Netherlands carried out by the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) from 2 to 13 May 2016”, January 2017.
- DJI Report, “Custodial Institutions Agency”, June 2018.
- European Public Service Union, “Perspectives du personnel pénitentiaire. An EPSU survey of the impact of the economic crisis on prisons”, June 2016.
- Public International Law & Policy Group NL “The legality of life imprisonment : comparative analysis of International, European and Dutch law”, May 2016.
Academic and press articles
- Boone M., Jacobs P., Lindeman J., “DETOUR - Towards Pre-trial Detention as Ultimo Ratio”, October 2016.
- Van Ginneken E., Hanneke Palmen A., Nieuwbeerta P., Berghuis M., “The Life in Custody Study : The quality of prison life in Dutch prison regime”, Institute of Criminal Law and Criminology of Leiden University, 2018.
- Pauline Jacobs, “Supervision / Inspection of deprivation of liberty in the Netherlands” in Nederlands Juristenblad, n°12, 2015.
- Pauline Jacobs, “The Development Rechtsburgerschap of Prisoners : A National and European Perspective”, dans Overarching Views of Crime and Deviancy. Rethinking the Legacy of the Utrecht School, 2015, p. 385-399.
- Pauline Jacobs et Anton Van Kalmthout, “Chapter 4 : The Dutch complaint and appeal procedure for prisoners in the light of European standards”, in Monitoring Penal Policy in Europe, 2017.
- Eveline Thoonen, Death in State custody, Maklu Uitgevers N.V, 2017.