For more information
- “Replies of South Africa to the list of issues” to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, 3 June 2016.
- Independent Police Investigative Directorate, Annual Report 2016/2017.
- Department of Correctional Services, Annual Report 2015/2016.
- Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services, Annual Report 2015-2016.
- Independent Police Investigative Directorate, Annual Report 2015/2016.
- South African Human Rights Commission, List of Issues Report to the Human Rights Committee on South Africa’s Implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, 17 April 2015.
- Department of Correctional Services, Annual Report 2014/2015.
- Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services, Annual Report 2014/2015.
- Independent Police Investigative Directorate, Annual Report 2014/2015.
Non-governmental organizations’ reports:
- Sonke Gender Justice - Dentention Justice Forum, “One judge one jail, a guide for inspecting and reporting on places of detention in South Africa”, May 2017.
- Sonke Gender Justice, Annual Report 2016/2017, November 2017.
- Just Detention International - South Africa, “The Purpose and Impact of the Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services”, September 2016.
- Thematic report on criminal justice and human rights in South Africa, a submission to the UN Human Rights Committee in response to the Initial Report by South Africa under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights at the 116th session of the Human Rights Committee (Geneva, March 2016).
- Just Detention International - Dr Amelia Kleijn, Child and Youth Care Centres in South Africa, February 2016.
- Sonke Gender Justice - Dissel Amanda, “By the Grace of God - Staffing correctional centers”, 21 May 2016.
- Wits Justice Project, “What you should know about your lawyer”.
- Just Detention International South Africa - Sasha Gear, “In Their Boots: Staff Perspectives Behind Bars in Johannesburg”, January 2015.
- Wits Justice Project, “An Analysis of Remand Detention in South Africa”, 2012.
- Human Rights Committee, “Concluding observations on the initial report of South Africa”, 27 April 2016.
- Caroline Agboola, “Memories of the ‘inside’: Conditions in South African women’s prisons”, SA Crime Quarterly, June 2016.
- Civil Society Prison Reform Initiative (CSPRI)
- Muntingh Lukas and Petersen Kristen, “Punished for being poor: Evidence and arguments for the decriminalisation and declassification of petty offences”, 2015.
- Jeremy Gordin and Ingrid Cloete, “Imprisoned before being found guilty: remand detainees in South Africa”, University of Cincinnati Law Review, 80:40, 2013, 3.
- Muntingh Lukas, “Race, gender and socio-economic status in law enforcement in South Africa – are there worrying signs?”, CSPRI Research Report, Bellville: Community Law Centre, 2013.
- Leah Green and Ruth Hopkins, “G4S prison in South Africa ‘torturing inmates’” in The Guardian, 28 October 2013.